“The effects of a diagnosis are understandably significant. It is important to balance the mind and the body for optimum recovery. Below are10 steps to focus the mind and deactivate your body’s stress response.
- Learn the skill of mindfulness: Train your mind to focus on the present rather than the potential bleak months ahead. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
- Cultivate an attitude of gratitude: Compile a list of all to be grateful for and review each day.
- Laughter is the best medicine: Laughter brings the mind into the present-watch movies, meet friends.
- Take a breath: Take slow deep breaths- this can quickly de-stress an anxious mind.
- Visualize: Find the quiet place, visualize yourself back in full health. The subconscious mind will help support the healing process.
- Let it all out: Emotions need to expressed- shout, stamp your feet, or even find a new hobby. It’s important a way to move forward.
- Stand Tall: Your posture impacts your mental health. Standing tall triggers pride in your body.
- Where focus goes energy flows: Are you spending all the time thinking about your diagnosis or planning your recovery?
- Mind what you say: being positive and optimistic plays enormous role in recovery- use language to reflect that.
- Get out more: Connecting with friends and family in social setting helps the body to release oxytocin that in turn increases feelings of happiness and closeness.”*
*Thank you TheMindCoach.ie for the helpful tips.